Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ch 46 Summary

In the article Writing About Texts, the author states that the best way to summarize or analyze any form of text is to annotate, outline and reread the text to extract the key points. A summary is not only the author’s main view points but it is also an example of your understanding of the material, while an analysis is about understanding how a text makes a point and creates an argument based on that. The most important key to writing about text is to understand the text itself and two techniques listed are annotating as you read, which more actively engages your mind and outlining the authors key points to understand the construction of the text.
As I was reading this chapter my mind started to wander and I could already visualize parts of my summary coming together so I did what the text said and I started jotting down notes and some of the key points. The hardest part for me when reading something, especially something that I have no interest in is keeping myself focused and trying to pick out the main ideas of the article, and when I am finished reading I have forgotten most of what I just read. For me, stopping to write down some notes and taking the time to organize my thoughts and the main points could greatly benefit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment